Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Healthy Cooking Secrets


Here are some healthy cooking secrets from an article online. I picked out a few that I thought might be helpful.


1. Study the recipe. Closely examine the original to see where changes can be made. "You can't just wing it, no matter how familiar you are with the recipe," says Test Kitchens Professional Kathryn Conrad. "Look at each ingredient to see where you can take away, add, or substitute."

When I first starting cooking years ago, I always thought I had to follow the recipe exactly. I now know better. I add my own things, take away things, or use whatever is in my pantry. I never understood when people would say they cooked something, but would have trouble giving a recipe. Now I understand- a little of this, and a little of that!

2. Limit sodium. Try the recipe with half the recommended sodium.

This one is hard for me because seasonings add so much to a dish. Where I come from- you don't season lightly!

3. Reduce portion sizes. When plating, start with a smaller amount and see if that satisfies you.

This seems obvious, but so many people pile stuff on their plates. I've heard over and over again that you should eat a little bit. If you are still hungry 15 minutes later, then you can eat more. If not, you are full but would not have realized it if you hadn't waited.

4. Sprinkle cheese, chocolate, or nuts on top rather than mixing into batters. As toppings, they deliver concentrated flavor.

Many casseroles call for cheese in them. Rather than mix the cheese in, just save it for the top. It will save a lot of calories.

5. Increase low-calorie ingredients. For example, add extra vegetables to casseroles and fruits to breads, muffins, or snack cakes. This will increase the yield of your recipe without adding fat.

6. Use nonstick pans and cooking spray in place of oil or butter.

7. When you need oil, use canola, which has nearly half the saturated fat and more healthful, unsaturated fat than other oils.




That is a GREAT website to help count calories. It is so simple. You copy and paste the recipe into the box and it does all the work for you.


That is a site where you can record your calorie intake each day.


Read this post for inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My photo
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
I am a single 20 something teacher in Charleston. I love to shop, decorate, cook, work with children, hang out with friends, and do anything in/on the water. Living near the beach definitely has its perks! I graduated from LSU and I LOVE to watch football. I will watch almost any college football game, but obviously love my tigers! I love to hang out with my family and hope to have my own one day.



Megan’s Madness


Maggie and Sophie

Maggie and Sophie

Sophie and Maggie

Sophie and Maggie

My family

My family

Popular Posts

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved