Question of the day: What do you do when your moving company steals everything you own?
My stuff got picked up in Houston on August 25. They guaranteed it would be in Charleston by September 7. We had some contact with them, but they said it wouldn't make it by September 7 because of the hurricane. We couldn't do much about that excuse.
They called us back and said it will be there September 12. My parents drove 17 hours to Charleston to help with the move. They never showed up. We haven't really heard from them since then. It is September 17 and we have no idea where my stuff is. American Van Lines will not answer the phone nor will they return our calls.
We now have an attorney, a move rescue company working with us, a state representative calling people for us, and several other officials. Police were supposed to get called today. I haven't followed up with the attorney yet to see what the status is.
I have been living out of a suitcase for a month now, sleeping on an air mattress, eating out every night, etc. I am sure my work is tired of seeing me in the same clothes every week. I am tired of doing laundry every other day. I am tired of sleeping on the floor for about 4 hours a night.
How do you replace EVERY single thing you own unless you are a millionaire?? I will never ever be able to list all the things that are missing...clothes...kitchen stuff....furniture....towels...bathroom stuff... The list could go on. I had 80 boxes packed and an apartment full of new furniture.
I talked to someone today that used American Van Lines and he FINALLY got his stuff back but it was all damaged- the furniture was ruined, the TV was ruined, the boxes were smashed or empty.
I don't even know what to do at this point. I can only wait for the authorities to do something because it is out of my hands. I am giving it to them and to God. Please pray that this gets worked out and the authorities can get my stuff back to me. At this point, even if I do get my stuff back, it will probably be ruined.
American Van Lines was not even authorized to move anything out of Houston. They outsourced some guy off the street basically. The guy is the one that moved my stuff and who knows where he has it.
If you ever need to move, ask me for advice. I can give you a list of things to find out before you hire a mover. Lesson learned big time.



Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine!! I hope this gets settled in your favor and you get your things back! Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteBless your heart! I'll definitely say a prayer for you that maybe the truck is just lost in Neverland and it will be returned unharmed very soon!
ReplyDeleteYou have got to be kidding me. I seriously hope you received your belongings back quickly. It is no fun replacing everything you own. I know a lot of companies hire contractors to pick up items, if they can give you his name and his license number that could be helpful as well. Heck, ask for his phone # as I've always had the number of drivers moving my pipes and fittings! I'm so sorry you are going through this! =/
ReplyDeleteOMG this happened to me too!!!!! Five years ago when I moved to Houston from Virginia! I totally sympathize with you; it is nightmare! I had to get an attorney too, and only a few of my things were stolen or damaged! I am praying for the best outcome possible for you!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness girl! That is absolutely horrible! People make me seriously sick sometimes. Praying all of your stuff is returned safe and sound and SOON!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you have been dealing with this. That is terrible and I hope you have resolution and that crappy company is shut down!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Megan that's AWFUL! I really hope that all your stuff gets back to you in one piece soon. Keep us updated.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! I hope things turn around soon, and your belongings are returned in good condition. It's sad that there are people out there like that.
ReplyDeleteMegan, this is so awful! Do you have a roommate/roommates? Is there anything I can do to help? Please let me know!
ReplyDeleteThis is BEYOND horrible, and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it!!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Munchkin Land and am following.
ReplyDeleteThinking about you with all you're going through with the mover's. I recently did my first long distance move (where I wasn't just driving in front of the truck to my new place) and it is stressful enough even when you're stuff does arrive. I can't even imagine what you're going through. I really hope the authorities or your lawyer can get something accomplished to either get your things back or get your some kind of compensation. Thinking about you girl!
Life with Elizabeth
oh my gosh! Praying you get your things back!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog on kelly's korner link up :) I posted about a friend of mine today who lives in NC... leave me a comment if you might be interested :) www.livingtheadventures.blogspot.com