Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Text Message Dating

One night last week, I was at happy hour with a few girls. We were discussing dating and how much it has changed over the last 5-10 years. Gone are the days of a guy showing up at a girl's doorstep with flowers in hand. Gone are the days where a guy calls after meeting you. Most dates begin now with the guy and girl meeting at the place rather than the guy picking the girl up. There are so many ways to meet a guy now which makes that the safest option. 

Once you have met the guy, whether it be in person or on the internet, most guys now will begin conversation through texting or emails. How long should that continue until a phone call is made? If a guy is really into you, should he call at some point within the first few days or week? Should he call to schedule the first date?

I can only speak from my personal experiences. Recently, regardless of how I meet guys, it always begins with texting. I can tell you that the relationships that actually went somewhere, a phone call was eventually made within the first week. The relationships that never went anywhere, there was never a phone call. I have had guys that think it's OK to only text. I'm talking weeks of just texting and no phone calls. Those relationships never went anywhere. The only lasting relationships I have ever had was when the guy made an attempt to call within the first week of us meeting rather than relying strictly on texts to schedule dates. 

After discussing this at dinner, I was curious to see what other women thought....

I went to twitter and posted the following statement/question...

Agree or disagree....Don't accept a date over text messaging???





















I have to say that I think it is OK to accept a date over text, but if he can't ever make a phone call, it probably will not go anywhere. I think a guy should call before the date even happens. If you want to plan it over text fine, but call before hand just to check in and say hello.

What do y'all think??



7 comments:

  1. I think I'm with you, Meg. My husband and I did a lot of facebook messaging but then we started talking on the phone after a little while and then made date plans. I think it's important to hear a person's voice, their inflections, and everything else that goes on with a phone conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I guess now that I think of it my boyfriend and I did a lot of FB messagining and Texting but it didnt last too long. I agree that you shouldn't accept a date over texting but it is a nice way of breaking the ice!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a BIG TOPIC with me. That was the #1 rule when I met Brad. DON'T TEXT MESSAGE ME!! I was so over that shit!
    Pick up the gosh darn phone!
    These days guys have become too lazy and dependent on that. Play hard to get and don't give in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I, even though we knew each other outside of this, really started getting to know each other through AIM (I know, so old school, right??) He asked me out through IM and it didn't bother me at all. It really depends on the person, situation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texting is ok if you are really spending quality time with the person but If they are ONLY TEXTing you they are... not that into you and a girl should move on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen and I started our relationship online, moved to texting & within a few days of giving him my number we spoke on the phone. I'm all about the natural progression of these events but I completely agree that if a guy cannot pick up the phone and chat then he's not worth yours or anyone's time.

    Besides, if a guy is really into you then texting won't satisfy his need to be near you, talk to you or hear your voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! You already know I disagree from my tweet but I had to add that the great guy I'm dating now asked me out over text which has become the norm between us now only because we both aren't much of phone people. Each to their own but it worked for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My photo
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
I am a single 20 something teacher in Charleston. I love to shop, decorate, cook, work with children, hang out with friends, and do anything in/on the water. Living near the beach definitely has its perks! I graduated from LSU and I LOVE to watch football. I will watch almost any college football game, but obviously love my tigers! I love to hang out with my family and hope to have my own one day.



Megan’s Madness


Maggie and Sophie

Maggie and Sophie

Sophie and Maggie

Sophie and Maggie

My family

My family

Popular Posts

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved