Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sunday Disaster

Last weekend was spent getting things packed and ready to go to Charleston. I also had to get my apartment ready for my tenant who is now living at my apartment. I was pretty nervous about meeting her for the first time, but she seems very sweet and normal. For the next week, we will be sharing my apartment. It is definitely weird going back to having a roommate, but I can do it for a week! 


After lots of packing, I decided I wanted to have some fun. We went to Schlitterbahn Water Park in Galveston. I had never been before and have always wanted to go. We stayed for about 3 hours. It was a perfect time to go. There were no lines at all since it's still so early in the summer. There are not that many slides so because of that, we were done pretty early. We drove along the seawall and downtown. I wanted to get back early because there were still a few things I needed to do before my tenant arrived on Monday morning. We left the Galveston area around 4:30 with the intentions of being home around 6:00 after a quick stop at Rudy's


Disaster strikes





We were driving along 45 and ran over something which caused a blowout. Thankfully, there was a guy in the car that knew just what to do. He went to the back of the car, got whatever he needed to raise the car and then came the AWFUL news. 


He had gotten his tire fixed at Firestone a few weeks back and THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE SPARE BACK! So here we are, on the side of the road, and our spare tire is at Firestone, 30 miles away!!


There was not much that we could do other than call a tow truck and get towed to the nearest tire place. Well it's almost 5:00 on a Sunday. After calling multiple tire companies, our only option was Walmart and they close at 7:00. 


Enter into the story a lady that goes by Joann. She was the first towing person we talked to. She said a tow truck would be there in 30 minutes. Great news.....


45 minutes goes by and no tow truck. We call Joann back. She says her tow guy is working on a project so she called another tow truck company and they will be there soon. We call them and they tell us they will be there in 30 minutes. Another 30 minutes goes by and it's about 6:15 at this point. We have 45 minutes to get to Walmart or we are stuck there. 


We call the second lady back. Let's call her Susan. She tell us that her towing guy just cut his hand open and is going to the emergency room. Who knows if this is true or not, but we can't argue with it right? She tells us that there is nothing she can do.


We call Joann back and tell her that NO ONE is coming to get us and we have 20 minutes to get to Walmart or we will be stuck. She says OK she will send her tow guy AKA her husband who was working on a project for her! UGHHH! 


At this point, we are thinking there is no way we are going to make it to Walmart. End of story is that he arrived pretty soon and we RAN into Walmart at 6:58. Thankfully the mechanic was a super nice guy and agreed to stay an extra hour to help us out. If Joann had just sent her husband from the beginning, it would be have been incredibly awesome! 



They kicked us out and turned all the lights off. We had to sit in the parking lot and wait for the car.



We eventually did make it to Rudy's and shared some delicious BBQ. The brisket and the corn was awesome!

We finally made it home around 10:00 that night. I ended up going to bed after midnight, doing last minute things to keep my apartment ready for my tenant. 














After all the cleaning out drawers and closets, etc, This is all she brought with her! FOR 3 MONTHS!



I brought my car to Nissan to check another thing off my list. Now my car is safe for me to do the 20 hour drive east!!




Now I have one last weekend in Houston. I am sure it will be spent with more packing to get ready for me to leave next week. I plan to have some fun in the sun at the pool too. 

Anyone want to join me?? 
Anyone have any tips for driving 20 plus hours?? 




5 comments:

  1. So glad that you weren't alone in all that mess Sunday! Lucky girl moving to Charleston!! Have a great last weeekend in H-town!

    Maybe books on CD for the long trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! That's all she brought with her? I try to pack light but geez!! Nice fan.

    Sorry about your tire ordeal. This is my fear- being stranded with no spare. Hell, I don't even know how to change a tire....

    What day are you leaving? What day are you getting to Charleston? WOO!! Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about your car and the 20 hour drive to sc! we will have to have cocktails once you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm!!! Rudy's is the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My photo
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
I am a single 20 something teacher in Charleston. I love to shop, decorate, cook, work with children, hang out with friends, and do anything in/on the water. Living near the beach definitely has its perks! I graduated from LSU and I LOVE to watch football. I will watch almost any college football game, but obviously love my tigers! I love to hang out with my family and hope to have my own one day.



Megan’s Madness


Maggie and Sophie

Maggie and Sophie

Sophie and Maggie

Sophie and Maggie

My family

My family

Popular Posts

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved