Monday, May 4, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan

Once again, got the recipe from Southern Living cookbook.

Sauce- which I made the night before

Ingredients

  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (12-ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
This makes 12 cups of sauce. The recipe only calls for 3 cups of sauce. However, when serving the dish, it needed extra sauce to go with the spaghetti so I was glad I had extra sauce on hand. I froze the sauce that I did not need.

Preparation for the Sauce

Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 2 hours. Divide into recipe portions; set aside 3 cups for Eggplant Parmesan, and freeze remaining portions.


2 hours.....now you see why I did it the night before............


Eggplant Parmesan

Ingredients

  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 3 cups Pasta Sauce

Preparation

Whisk together eggs and 3 tablespoons water until blended.

Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.

Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Cook eggplant, in 3 batches, in 1 tablespoon hot oil (per batch) in a large skillet over medium heat 4 minutes on each side or until tender.

Arrange one-third of eggplant in a single layer in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice. Spoon 3 cups Pasta Sauce over top.

Bake, covered, at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese melts.


Great served over spaghetti!


Things I did differently/learned: Heat needs to be on about 4 so that the eggplant doesn't burn. You need more olive oil than 3 TBSP. 3 cups of sauce is not enough. This dish makes a lot. Next time, I might cut everything in half, including the sauce. 1 eggplant would have been plenty with a smaller size glass pan. I also learned how to cut eggplant. Apparently, you peel it just like a potato. Also, I cut the eggplant about an hour before I started cooking and poured salt all over the pieces. I let it sit for an hour, rinsed and drained it, and patted it dry. Apparently eggplant can get soggy when its cooked, and I heard this would help it to be not soggy.

I have never had Eggplant Parmesan before and I really enjoyed it!
Below is not my eggplant parmesan. I got it from the internet. I did not take a picture of mine, but wanted to include a picture!


This sounds like a lot, but if you do the sauce the night before, it helps and it really doesn't take all that long and its tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My photo
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
I am a single 20 something teacher in Charleston. I love to shop, decorate, cook, work with children, hang out with friends, and do anything in/on the water. Living near the beach definitely has its perks! I graduated from LSU and I LOVE to watch football. I will watch almost any college football game, but obviously love my tigers! I love to hang out with my family and hope to have my own one day.



Megan’s Madness


Maggie and Sophie

Maggie and Sophie

Sophie and Maggie

Sophie and Maggie

My family

My family

Popular Posts

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved