I have done a terrible job keeping up with the blog since the beginning of July. Multiple reasons to blame for that..visitors being a huge one. The other reason is that I have been CONSTANTLY job hunting and looking for places to live in Charleston.
Towards the middle of July, I decided that I was going to move to Charleston no matter what- job or no job. Bold move right? I kept going back and forth on the decision. Whatever the decision was going to be, it needed to be made fast. July was quickly ending, and I did not want to put my principal (back in Houston) in a bind, scrambling to find someone in August.
After I went home for my brother's wedding, I pretty much made up my mind and had my family's support to make the big move. I got back to Charleston, called my principal and quit my job.
As of July 24, I was officially unemployed with no hope of finding a new job.
Since that day, I have been job hunting endlessly as well as looking for a place to live. As of this morning, I officially have a job until November working at a school in town- a great school actually. It's only temporary, but could possibly turn into a long term position. It's actually one of the best schools in town so I could not turn it down because this will get my name into their system in case a long term position does open up. I also have an interview tomorrow morning for a part time position that would help out until I have a full time teaching position.
.
So I have a paycheck at this point. I am still homeless. I have found a roommate. She's super sweet and thought she was going to be here temporarily. Like me, she fell in love with the city and wants to stay. We have been searching craigslist 24 times an hour hoping to find a place downtown. The problem is that the college is located downtown and starts soon so all of the places are already rented.
For now, I am leaving to go to Houston on Thursday morning. I will pack up all of my stuff, see some friends, go to my old school to get stuff, and then head back to Charleston by August 16 to start working. I have a place to stay in Charleston until September. I have hope that between now and September 1- something will open up downtown. If not, I guess we will look in James Island or Mount Pleasant.
I have been very nervous about the decision and even last night, there were some tears about whether or not this was the right decision to make. After today, I feel confident that I am making the right decision. In the end, it's only a year. If I don't like it- I can always go back or somewhere new. I have made some great friends in Charleston already, and hope to form many more great relationships once I get back.
So Houston friends- I will be in town next week. Let's meet up!
Charleston friends- See ya in 2 weeks!!
Get ready for a huge birthday/college football celebration on September 1!!!
The best present you could give me is a place to live!!
I am moving to Charleston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Congrats on the decision and the big move!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, lady!
ReplyDeleteWow! I did not realize you decided to make the leap. Good for you. Which school are you in temporarily?
ReplyDeleteI think you have the right attitude. Life is too short to not take a chance. Congrats!
Alright, well, I can understand your tears. Hell, I cried making the decision to take a job/move here and I had a steady job/apartment. I feel your pain, but I'm also glad you're moving here- we haven't really had time to hangout as much as I'd like.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have you and the pups as roommates, but although my place has two HUGE bedrooms, the closet situation would just be....a FAIL! LOL Seriously- come over and take a peek. You'll cry for me.
Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteCongratulatons on this move! I live about 2.5 hours from Charleston and love to visit there! It is a beautiful place. Good luck with the hunt for a home and a job. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! This is an awesome and fun opportunity for you :-)
ReplyDeletecongrats! and when you return we WILL meet up!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I wish I would have done something like this before I got married and started a family. Have fun and enjoy your new adventure! Congrats on the job as well.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to our fabulous city!! Glad you are staying and hope things continue to work out! Can't wait to read more about your move and your adventures!! :-)
ReplyDeleteAfter I posted it's no longer "our" city- its "yours" too now!! :-)
ReplyDeleteOMG THIS IS AWESOME!! So proud of you/excited for you for making this decision!! What an adventure :)
ReplyDeleteOMG I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will miss our happy hour dates but this is amazing news!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your move! I love charleston & am hoping to move there after I finished nursing school in a year and a half. My sorority sister & another friend recently found an apt. at the base of the bridge on the Mt. P side, for a great deal apparently! Just giving you some hope :)
ReplyDeleteYou are making me miss my CofC days. I lived on Coming Street and St Phillips. Get ready for the time of your life!
ReplyDelete